12.31.2011

2011 in retrospect

This is the third year in a row that I’ve filled out this survey. I think it’s a nice end of the year debriefing, so here you are! This whole year I've been thinking it's been the worst year ever - but picking out the good parts to remember makes me feel unfair about saying it was a bad year. It could have been much worse, and it certainly ended well. So.

2011, thank God it’s over.
Here’s to 2012 being better!

What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
I started a real-person full time job. I went on a cruise as a passenger instead of a crew member, let’s see. I traveled around New England in June without a car… and then in October with a car. Went to Boston in the Fall. Lots of new things! What an interesting year this has been.

Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My goal for 2011 was putting together a show – I guess I should have specified performing the show, because I did put one together, but I never got it off the ground. I just started round two, so here’s to 2012 actually making some money off it.

I try to avoid making the typical “lose weight, be friendlier” types of resolutions, because resolutions like those are too vague to actually make significant progress with. I prefer now to make specific goals, with specific time frames, that I can check off.

What countries did you visit?
Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Cayman Islands.

What states did you visit?
Oh boy. A whole bunch of them. Drove from Minnesota down to Nashville in march and in may. Spent time in New Hampshire and Boston in June. And in October, we roadtripped thoroughly up the coast, and then to upstate NY. Thanksgiving I spent in Atlanta and then Maryland. and... flew through Florida to get on the cruise!

What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Money. And. umm. Emotional Stability.

What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory?
March 17. June 26. Nov 12. Dec 12.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
There really wasn’t any one particular achievement of the year, but a lot of medium-sized ones: Moving to Nashville and getting started there again. Getting by with a little help from my friends. I’d say being able to vacation on a cruise AND buying all my Christmas presents, without blowing every extra cent I have. (Thanks to Matt and Ashley)

Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got stung by a bee or something in July, and it swelled my foot up like a balloon. You can still see the mark. Other than that – the usual colds, but nothing bad.

What was the best thing you bought?
The sparkly shoes. Hahah.

Where did most of your money go?
Traveling around, and eating food.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Spending time in Boston, both times. The roadtrip in October up the east coast.. putting on the duet recital in November, and the vacation on the equinox, seeing cruise people again, going to the Caribbean.

What song will always remind you of 2011?
Knee Deep in the Water Somewhere - Zac Brown Band

Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder?
Happier!
thinner or fatter? Fatter!
richer or poorer? Richer!
(funny how those three all go together :)

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Playing my violin.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Spending money.

How did you spend Christmas?
In Maryland, with my family, like always.

Did you fall in love in 2011?
I did, briefly, and fortunately back out again.

What was your favorite TV program?
Doctor Who, hands down. I started it on New Years day. 30 Rock a close second, I've watched the whole thing about 3-4 times this year. SO good.

What was the best book you read?
Bossypants, the Tina Fey autobiography. I re-read the Harry Potter series. Also enjoyed The Parasites, by Daphne du Maurier. And the Phantom Tollbooth – I got way more out of that than I did in 5th grade last time I read it!

What was your greatest musical discovery?
IN the spring I listened to a lot of Adele and Mumford & Sons. The summer was a large mix of everything, mostly getting back into country. The fall has been a lot of old things – beach boys and Frank Sinatra, and Tchaikovsky. haha, and… Full Tilt.

What did you do on your birthday?
Hmm. March - we had just gotten back from spring break, so there wasn’t much to do. I went to the city and ate food with Lauren, and then came back and had cake-made-from-scratch with the boys, and played Settlers of Catan. Yep.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery :)

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
“smart casual”

What kept you sane?
Planning things.

Who was the best new person you met?
Danielle – can’t believe it was only march that we met! Sarah, in the fall. And on the cruise, Jason and Ken. And everyone else.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Love all, trust few. Do wrong to none. - Shakespeare

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I wanna see you again
But I'm stuck in colder weather
Maybe tomorrow will be better
Can I call you then?
Cause I'm a ramblin' man
I ain't ever gonna change
I got a gypsy soul to blame
And I was born for leaving

- Colder Weather, Zac Brown Band

1 comment: